What To Do If You Get In An Accident?
While we’ve gotten PLENTY of snow and ice already this winter, this is Iowa and we are bound to get more. No matter if it’s in December or April, treacherous roads make getting into a car accident more of a possibility. But do you know what to do if it happens to you? Keep our Accident Checklist handy – just in case!
- STAY CALM. Panic will only make things worse, and someone needs to be calm enough to determine the extent of the damage and if anyone requires immediate medical attention. Easier said than done, of course, but still the most important thing to remember.
- REMAIN AT THE SCENE. You will be subject to criminal charges if you leave the accident. If possible, move everyone to safety and move the cars to a safe location. If the damage is too extensive or if there are potentially serious injuries, stay in your vehicle with your seatbelt ON.
- CONTACT THE POLICE. Even if you think it’s a minor accident, it’s important to have a legal accident report. This can help insurance companies determine fault and settle damages much more quickly.
- DON’T DISCUSS COVERAGE OR FAULT. No matter if you think it was your fault, don’t admit to it. If the other driver(s) decide to sue down the road, even an apologetic admission could come back to bite you in the backside later on!
- TAKE YOUR OWN PICTURES. Use your cell phone or any other camera in your possession to get shots of the accident from several different viewpoints. It’s important to document as much information at the scene as possible.
Getting in a car accident is frightening, with or without injuries or major damages! We know you can’t always avoid them, however, so we hope you keep these tips in mind.
As always, please don’t hesitate to contact Minor Wreck Express with questions about what we can do for YOU, or to get your free estimate at the shop or online!